Tuesday, January 8, 2008

dream on...

I used to wilfully dream. Every night starting with some little fantasy someway into future weaving a scene first and then slowly a tale. And i would actually believe in it as it spun. The doubt in me would warn me that my dreaming would negate the possibility of the dream ever coming true. Because my reason told me that dreams were way different from reality no matter how real my dream. The die hard believer in me devised a solution to this dilemma without quitting the dreaming (which i couldn’t bear to and which was the way i dropped off to sleep every night, sometimes continuing the dream after wakefulness): i would deliberately put in some one small element of impossibility into every dream. Some real small inconsequent little element of disbelief, of fantasy (a blue moon for eg.) which would differentiate the dream from the reality of the same. Which would protect the possibility of the basic wish in the dream by keeping it untainted with occurrence in my mind (thanks to the element of disbelief) and therefore opening its option of occurring in reality. Brilliant yet naive. I don’t know when i stopped this habit of mine and grew up. Some days back i found myself thinking of what i was looking forward to and imagining how i would be then, and found myself creating the dream before dozing off. Without any caution this time. Am i learning to dream finally or have i lost the will to wish my dreams into reality?

No comments: