Thursday, January 31, 2008

jog: posting from my office desk

The cold wind easily outperforms the thick cotton sweatshirt. My hands in my pockets and my chest feeling the chill I walk fast to warm myself. Cross the road avoiding the blue lines. Come to the lane where I begin jogging. Slow soft like he taught me. Hardly hearing my feet on the road. Feel the laziness and food of the last month on my butt shake at the first 5 steps. Later all muscular feelings become one. People look wonder realize it’s a girl wonder yet more. The lane is dark already. I dodge cyclists and household help on their way home. Come to this big street lamp lighting this sudden bit of the lane. Im already panting a little. Plus the wind on my head and face literally biting. Heres the gate I stop walk in turn my usual left bend my face look at the 2-3 steps of walk before my feet automatically start their jog. Past old men women couples, in the half evening half lamp light. First one sleeve is off tehn another then it comes over my head, all this while my jog continues. The convenient thing is tied around my waist now and against the biting cold wind the sweat on my arms dries instantly. The throbbing within defeats the wind outside that is aided by my motion. And I continue heavy yet controlled breathing. The head aches a little though but I don’t mind it as yet. A couple of runners overtake me im in no hurry they will stop sooner than I. one full circle. The second is tougher. My legs move with inertia but fighting the wind against which im moving takes my energy. Now its only the lamps that guide me and now even they are put to sleep. Cant stay in such darkness too long. Some bits of the path have been dug up. Take a small diversion im not used to. Grassy with stones. Finish the second lap right at the gate. Avoid the dark lane and walk towards the residential long cut. Wide roads with cars blaring light on my face every 5 minutes. But I love this route. Very few people out on the streets. Houses trees parked cars and yet so much space on the dark grey road. A couple of gentle speed breakers I go up and come down on. My legs move with a life of their own refusing to halt. This funny calm within comes only with blood throbbing in your veins this way. Only my head hurts with the cold. Will get a cap tomorrow. Bare arms inviting wonder from passers by I love the attention. Reach the highway. Stop cross enter my block. Rub my head once home to get rid of the ache.

No comments: