Monday, May 16, 2016

years ago, I wrote a post about how I thought I was not a feminist. and in fact, when I wrote that, I did not understand feminism as I think I do now.

for a very long time, I also ignored or waved away any claims to persistent and pernicious racism, especially here in the US. I thought that many years of discrimination had messed up with the minds of those discriminated against such that they failed to realize that it was over, that they should move on.

I have to say I was wrong on both issues.

plus the white conservative ideology of preserving and sustaining the rights of the privileged in this country, hurts and sets back any efforts to restore rights to those who have been so far deprived. whether we talk in terms of race, gender, or even gender identity. they see the total sum of rights as a constant, and giving someone new rights so far unknown is perceived by them as taking an equal amount away from those privileged.

No comments: