Sunday, November 5, 2023

I haven't had the time to write about many things. about our panic and failed attempt at snorkeling in La Jolla caves in the cold pacific ocean in July. about visiting the US after five years. about mexican food and people, and swimming in cenotes - the cave pools created possibly by the impact of the meteor that erased dinosaurs from earth. about our visit to Ghana (erstwhile Gold Coast) and how the tragic history of slave trade and the opposite of anger that I saw in people's faces there has changed me, made me more humble and compassionate. how we made friends with a local cat in Elmina - the place that reminded us of Goa, both Portuguese colonies around beautiful seas - and how the owner said that locals look at you funny if they see you trying to make pets of animals. how I've started to also recognise the beauty of the glow of darker skin; how I was mistaken yet again for an Ethiopian; how I roamed about alone and random people showed me things; how some flavors in their fermented foods and meat stews were way too strong for me and made me smile while I couldn't continue to eat them. about how I felt my life's journey was taking me to places that felt like pieces of a jigsaw that told the story of America and the world, of the intertwined fates of humans, and how now I want to visit South Carolina to dig into the Gullah food and culture.  

about the apocalyptic levels of air pollution (about a week of 400plus pm2.5 and a couple more weeks forecasted) in Delhi this Oct-Nov where people are walking about without masks making you wonder whether their belief of you believing this to be harmful and hiding from it behind your masks and air purifiers is in fact your fragility and your woke-ness. about transitioning to flowy skirts as I grow older. about a slow acceptance of having aged, while airport officials in Accra still marvelled at my age (and also told me that Indian brides are in demand there because they pay good bride price; technically African ideas of bride price imply the groom's family paying the bride's, quite the opposite of dowry in India).

No comments: