Monday, June 15, 2015

new note #walkDC

Every day I learn of something else in DC so far unexplored, and although the weather has been really muggy, reminding me of bombay summer, once in a while I fight it and set out, again.

A friend of a friend I met recently in NYC, a girl also from India and with similar background as mine - smallish-town parents but she lived and grew up in multiple cities and locations in the Indian sub-continent - happened to mention that the NYC-DC contrast was analogical to the Bombay-Delhi contrast, in that order. I smiled and agreed. In my first few years in this country, I loved NYC, cos it was the closest to the chaos and crowds of India. But now I can without doubt say which city feels like home to me. NYC is perfect for a visit, but I always want to come back to the greenery, space, elegance and elaborate architecture of DC. I'm sure the seat of the capital has a lot to do with the analogy between the city comparison too - it lends to a certain idea and space planning, adding a spatial ambition, keeping the pomp and glory of the government uncluttered (which also has its flip-side, of course) and beautiful.

So this time it was Dumbarton Oaks gardens, one of the best in the world. Sadly, I learned of these after spring, and therefore my visit isn't really complete; will have to go next year at the right time. But a cloudy summer day wasn't half as bad, for the hour spent walking around these beautifully kept gardens. The mansion within the grounds is spectacular, the lovers' lane pool enchanting, the terrace gardens little joys of discoveries, and the lush lawns are soothing beyond words. The link below has a map, and of course, I add some phone pictures.

http://www.doaks.org/gardens/virtual-tour





I would have like to lie down and spend hours in some shady corner in the gardens but there is a reverent air among the handful of tourists who walk around in a hushed wonder, and that would seem like sacrilege.

The city tricked me that day into a long unplanned walk, after the gardens, in my flimsy sandals meant only to keep my feet breathing. The university route bus that I rely on whenever roaming around Georgetown did a vanishing act and a random co-sufferer informed me of the Capital Pride parade that was the cause. I was surprised as I hadn't heard the parade mentioned at all otherwise. so I trudged on, on P street, passing an adorable under-5 baseball game that made me smile and clap enthusiastically, and eventually walked head on into the parade. It was an awesome sight, although the only topless people were male. rainbow flags all around, and clothing the semi-clad. motor vehicles blocked from before Dupont Circle to around Logan Circle, and the procession driving and marching by, welcomed by the city turned out in support, cheering and hooting. I caught a pack of candy and a flashy blue necklace too, ate and wore respectively, bought a bottle of water to survive and replenish all that salt and water coming out as sweat, smelt that weird combination of crowd sweat, and walked for 4 miles, circling the parade. Oh yeah, an african american teenager near Columbia Heights also yelled out an obscene comment at me (those rare instances in this country when I get these, when they probably mistake me for one of them, esp when my Indian eyes are masked behind my sunglasses). I ignored him, not because I was scared (as would be in India) but because he was a kid, and because I know by experience that the approach to Columbia Heights isn't one of those places where I expect chivalry.

all in all, an awesome walk in a beautiful city, that left my feet sore. but at least I came back to hubby cooking spaghetti with meatballs. totally worth it.

No comments: