Monday, September 20, 2021

dogs have a sense of fairness, they communicate their emotions, and are capable of receiving empathy

Whiskey bit me some weeks ago, one morning when I was getting out for my run and he was sleeping on our staircase blocking my way. on being woken up he lolled around a bit and then when I tried to stroke his head with the hand that also held my big metal key I think I scared him and he jumped at my wrist grabbing it in his teeth for a split second. I calmed him down, surprised, but later when I saw a small bloody scratch on my wrist I got worried. I didn't run that day. instead came home washed it with soap water, went out again, trying to make sure of the identity of the dog. couldn't find him anymore. called my RWA to ask if these dogs were vaccinated, was assured they were. but having a small doubt in my mind as to which dog it was and their vaccination claim, I went and got my first rabies shot that day after a while and after breakfast.

instead of shying away from them, I have been feeding Whiskey and Beauty (also Tutee now) more since then; and because Beauty doesn't quite relish these doggie cookies, I started ordering some soup bones (of goat) to give to them. they realise its precious and valuable as soon as they smell it or touch it, and they gobble it up.

I'm getting into the habit of taking a few bones to them after a long day of teaching. the last time I took 5 bones for the three dogs. I found them kinda all together (they are friends and have proprietor-rights on this lane, not allowing other strays to venture here). Whiskey was fast and got two, one after another, the second of which was a meatier one that Beauty rejected so I pointed it out to him. And Beauty had finished her first so I dropped a second in front of her when Whiskey was busy a lil way ahead (to avoid attracting his attention cos he seemed to be very excited by everyone's bones). Beauty had just begun cracking hers, when Whiskey suddenly growled and attacked her mouth, and she being the sensible peacemaker, dropped it reflexively. It was gone in seconds, while I was trying to scold him and order him to drop it. 

I was still scolding him when he was done with it and smacking his lips around his mouth. Beauty was now to my right and facing him, she let out two angry short barks straight at him, one after another. these startled me, but he avoided her glance and kept slowly wagging his tail and looking at me appeasingly.

I ignored him, telling him he was a bully and that he stole her bone. he eventually left, leaving me consoling Beauty stroking her and talking to her crouching on my haunches. she moved in and sat between my legs as if she was hugging me. I hugged her back and gave her a few belly rubs. Tutee was on the side, also getting a few.

and then I came back home, took two big bones from the freezer, and went back again. the bully was still not back. and I watched over Beauty and Tutee till they finished eating theirs, ushering them away from the road when a car approached. 

I met the two another morning, and later Whiskey on his own atop a car. of course he ran to me when he realised it was me, and of course I wasn't mad anymore. and as usual he kept following me till I gave him a nice side belly rub.

No comments: