Tuesday, May 4, 2021

people are dying in homes, in cars and autos waiting for hospitals to take them in, in hospitals when they run out of oxygen or when there's a fire. the world feels unreal around me, especially when each one of us is affected/afflicted. 

but then I see this woman I met years ago in Europe, much younger than me, in a photo posted by her after many months, 39 weeks pregnant and "waiting to bring a new person into this beautiful world", and I wonder if she is living in the same world as me. and I realise in fact that she isn't, that this world has always been divided, that each is separated and isolated from the other despite our 'porous borders', that now I am in that world from where the rest looks insensitive because where I am is the source of the horror news headlines; that I have been on the other side of this often before when I have read about news from Syria, or Latin America, even the USA, ...

No comments: