Sunday, February 5, 2017

one of those days

got some cool books I'd been looking for, from a hidden bookstore in that far-away city, while doing that rare - travel alone - thing. the owner even looked like the sort of guy I would have hit on (I probably did flirt a bit, or at the very least made some totally unnecessary conversation), if I weren't boringly married and faithful, and yes, the thought did cross my mind right then, given I was there exactly one more night on my own at a tucked-away hotel, the address to which no one knew right then. hah!

this shop in fact had one row peppered with author-signed copies, had no one bothering to dust the orphaned second-hands they must have procured from various sources, and had one of the two guys writing out this chalk-message on a lil blackboard. It took me some time to figure out what it meant, as I had been cut off from the yelling and shouting of Indian news on tv for about a week thanks to the traveling with family and alone. Modi was supposed to address the nation that evening, and the message was prescient about what he would say. I teased the owner a bit by giving him crisp fresh Modi currency notes.

today, strangely, I want to be back on those streets, not just in blore but in delhi and in kochi.





No comments: